This week, Mom caught a bug and is feeling under the weather, so we weren’t able to get together for a Mom’s 52 recipe. (Sad face.) We’ll make up for it as soon as Mom feels better, of course, but it got me thinking about turning the tables. Chicken Tortilla Soup is a dish that Mom requests from me and is a perfect addition to our younger Most Requested series, which focuses on other family favorites that span different cuisines. If you’ve got a slow cooker, this version of Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy, one-pot, set-it-and-forget-it dish.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
INGREDIENTS – makes 4 large servings:
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 oz.) can of mild diced green chiles
- 1 (8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 2 C. of chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. of dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. of sea salt
- a dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 frozen chicken breast
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 C. frozen corn
- for garnish: shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado chunks, tortilla strips, lime juice
- Place all ingredients (EXCEPT the frozen corn and garnish) into a large slow cooker. Mix gently to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for a total of 4 hours. After three hours, add the frozen corn to cook it only during the last hour.
- Remove the cooked chicken and shred with a fork. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Serve the chicken tortilla soup topped with shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado chunks, tortilla strips, and lime juice, to taste. Enjoy!
For email notifications about new posts like this one, please subscribe to Writing With Chopsticks by entering your email on the sidebar of this page. Thanks for the compliment of sharing this post with others!