This week’s Mom’s 52 recipe is for a popular dish among kids and adults alike. Mi Xao Don – Crunchy Bird’s Nest w/ Beef Stir Fry is a crowd-pleaser because of its fun crunch and savory topping. This is a great dish to throw together at the end of your week, when you’ve got a variety of leftover vegetables in your refrigerator. The vegetables are pretty versatile here, and although on this day, Mom used bell peppers, broccoli, and celery, the vegetables can be switched out with vegetables of your choice. Throw together squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, or anything else that’s crunchy and colorful for a quick and easy meal.
Mi Xao Don – Crunchy Bird’s Nest w/ Beef Stir Fry
INGREDIENTS – makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. beef ribeye, sliced thinly
- 3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. + 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- canola oil, enough to reach 1/2″ up the side of a wide pot or skillet
- 2 servings (about 7 oz.) of fresh egg noodles
- 4 C. of your choice of vegetables, chopped into large chunks
- 1 C. chicken broth
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- pepper and chopped cilantro, for garnish
STEP 1: MARINATE THE MEAT FOR MI XAO DON
- In a large mixing bowl, top the sliced ribeye with 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 3/4 tsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, and 2 tsp. EVOO. Mix well and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
STEP 2: MAKE THE BIRD’S NEST FOR MI XAO DON
- Pour enough canola oil into a wide pot or skillet to reach 1/2″ up the side. Heat the oil on medium heat.
- Take one serving of fresh egg noodles and spread it out onto a large plate.
- When the oil is hot, gently slide the egg noodles from the plate into the oil.
- Cook the noodles for about 1 minute and flip over, cooking for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the noodles from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Once drained, remove the paper towels from the plate.
- Repeat to make a second Bird’s Nest.
STEP 3: MAKE THE BEEF STIR FRY FOR MI XAO DON
- In a large, glass measuring cup (for easy pouring later), mix together 1 C. chicken broth, 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce, and 3 tsp. cornstarch. Set this “sauce” aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of EVOO on medium heat. Once heated, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and stir to bring out the garlic aroma.
- Add to the skillet the marinated meat. Quickly stir fry to brown the meat.
- Add to the skillet your vegetables. Continue to stir fry for an additional 1-2 minutes to cook the meat and vegetables through.
- Gently stir the “sauce” prepared above, and pour it into the skillet. Stir for 30 seconds to thicken the stir fry, and remove from heat. Top each Bird’s Nest from Step 2 above with this beef stir fry.
- Garnish with pepper and cilantro, and enjoy!
Was this Mom’s 52 recipe helpful? Do you have any questions about this recipe? Did you try this recipe? Please post your comments below. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll send your question to Mom!
For email notifications about new posts like this one, please subscribe to Writing With Chopsticks by entering your email on the sidebar of this page. Thanks for the compliment of sharing this post with others!