It’s FIFA World Cup time, and this week’s Mom’s 52 dish is a Vietnamese recipe that is perfect for getting together with a big group: Mi Xao Mem – Egg Noodle Stir Fry. Prepare this easy dish for your next potluck, and free up your time to get back to watching the big game.
Mi Xao Mem – Egg Noodle Stir Fry is similar to Mi Xao Don, but instead of laying on a bird’s nest of crunchy noodles, Mi Xao Mem involves soft egg noodles. Like most stir fry dishes, a great thing about this Mi Xao Mem recipe is that it allows you to apply most any protein and combination of vegetables you enjoy (or that you have laying around in your kitchen). Mom suggests using a variety of vegetables – the more colors, the better!
Fresh egg noodles can be found in most Asian food markets in the refrigerated section. Mom used wide egg noodles here, but you can use the thin egg noodles, if desired.
Mi Xao Mem – Egg Noodle Stir Fry
INGREDIENTS – makes 4-6 servings
For the Mi Xao Mem meat marinade:
- 1 lb. your choice of meat, thinly sliced (Ex. pork loin, beef ribeye, beef eye of round, chicken breast, …)
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. shallots, chopped
For the Mi Xao Mem noodles:
- 1 pkg. (about 16 oz.) fresh egg noodles
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
The final ingredients for Mi Xao Mem:
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 5 C. your choice of vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces*** (Ex. broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, bok choy, gai lan, …)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- pepper and a handful of chopped cilantro, for garnish
*** If using hard-stemmed vegetables, blanch them first by boiling water and adding the vegetables to cook for 30 seconds before draining.
STEP 1: MARINATE THE MEAT FOR MI XAO MEM
- In a medium bowl, mix your choice of meat together with 2 tsp. oyster sauce, 2 tsp. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. sugar, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and 1 Tbsp. chopped shallots. Set aside to marinate.
STEP 2: PREPARE THE EGG NOODLES FOR MI XAO MEM
- Fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, add the fresh egg noodles and stir gently. Cook for 2 minutes. Drain. Rinse, and drain again.
- Use kitchen shears to roughly cut the cooked noodles into thirds.
- Pour 3 Tbsp. EVOO into the empty medium pot, and turn on medium heat. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic, and cook for 10 seconds to bring out the garlic flavor.
- Add the boiled noodles to the EVOO and garlic. Stir to fry for 1 minute.
- Add to the noodles 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. sugar, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Stir to fry for another minute. Pour the noodles into a serving dish.
STEP 3: FINALIZE MI XAO MEM
- Using the same pot, heat 2 Tbsp. EVOO on high heat. Add 1 clove chopped garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the marinated meat. Stir to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce. Toss until everything is fully cooked, about 3-5 minutes, depending on your choice of meat and vegetables.
- Pour the cooked meat and vegetables onto the platter of noodles. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle pepper and chopped cilantro atop your Mi Xao Mem dish to complete. Enjoy!
Comments make me happy. Please post your comments below! If I don’t know the answer, I’ll send your question to Mom!
For email notifications about new posts like this one, please subscribe to Writing With Chopsticks by entering your email on the sidebar of this page. Thanks for the compliment of sharing this post with others! Pass it on…